Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Dear Prof Chris de Wet

Dear Prof Chris de Wet

About two weeks ago I went to a Malawian climate change conference, in Senga Bay, near the south of Lake Malawi. I met the consultant (who was facilitating the workshop) while I was in the Lilongwe tourism offices. We got chatting about tourism and intangible heritage and he said I seemed very eager and that I might be interested in coming to the conference and networking. I jumped at the opportunity.

The conference stared in the morning and by lunch break I realised that this was not an action orientated conference. They were here discussing policy. And then all of our honours work came rushing back to me. We were talking about ethics, politics, human rights and everything else about policy creation. It was intense and I was thankful that I had done your module.

However, in my honours year I struggled to understand a lot of what happened in the classes. At the conference I also understood little of what went down that day. It was interesting, but when we went into discussion groups I spent my time like a spectator at a tennis match, as two people debated back and forth (ever so philosophically) about whether people refer to themselves as A or B...

None-the-less, many thanks for introducing me to this concept however vague the grasping of it is!

Much anthropological love
Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment