Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Pilau

The hina has faded, the bellies have recovered from too much chai and biscuits and cake and chapatis and rice. Now in memory of sikuku, here is a recipe for pilau.

I learnt how to cook pilau from two people: one, my friend who is a photographer and a local, and the other from a lady whom I chatted to on the day that I was painted in hina and piko.

I learnt this one from the famous and very talented photographer. She invited me to her home and I followed the progress of the lunch being cooked. Every friday, the family eats Pilau with some fort of meat. Here it is:

1. fry onion in A LOT of ghee (or oil). Fry the onion for a long time, until is it nice and soft.
2. then add about four chunks of potato (or more if you so want, this meal was to serve about 4 peopl)
3. then add garlic, ginger and then after a few minutes, cinnamon, 2/3 cloves, cumin, cardamon and black pepper.
4. cook for a few minutes and the add the amount of rice you need and stick and leave to cook until the rice is done.

This is pilau. As I have mentioned before, the people whom I have met do not work with exact measurements, this I am afraid need to be cooked with taste.

The second recipe I learnt from the dear hina ladies. The sister told me in mixed kiSwahili and English, interupted with excited additions by her sister. Her recipe will be remembered here, in absence, for alas I cannot remember it!

Please enjoy the Pilau.

No comments:

Post a Comment