Saturday, February 19, 2011

The bee doth work

Eventually, I have a job: all my G'town fans will know about my bakery? Simply Bee Bakery of Bread. My mom has since learnt how to make divine sourdough bread and so we decided to go into business together. We updated the menu (Thank you Leigh), we advertised and then... on Tuesday the 15th of February, Anthony McKay, the Managing Director of the Irene Farms, called me and asked me if he could stock the Irene Dairy Shop with our breads! Oh yessiree, we are playing with the big boys (or women, or people, depending on your view of gender related issues in the work place) ;)

So we delivered our first batch yesterday, 18th February. I baked 72 breadsticks, a feat of note, if I do say so. My mom clocked 11 sourdough loaves. Anthony wanted 6 each of white sourdough, wholemeal, rye and pecan nut and date. That would have been an astonishing 24 loaves! Astonishing! But we couldn't do so many on such short notice, so we did as many as we could. It was a mind-boggling blur of messed flour on the floor, piles of rising bread, hot ovens, cooling bread and general excitement all round. We have also decided on new packaging for the bread, thanks to the inspiration of the wonderful of wonders De Oude Bank (really, if you go to Stellenbosch for no other reason, it is to sample Godly wonders of bread, cheese, pesto and honey beer...). That bakery...wow...that's my dream come true... (PS the link to this post takes you to an article of De Oude Bank)

Here endeth my last digression...

So, I have the beginnings of income. And then the rest happened: I got accepted to to a photography course to work on a cruise ship; I got an reply from Wildreness safaris about working for them; I was approached my the owner of a tiny community development/aid organisation in Malawi, asing me if I would be keen to help her (she is a filmmaker) and an old man to document stories and narrative and histories of the people in the little town in Malawi where the organisation is (I can't remember off hand right now). So while the bee doth work, the rest doth try to decide where best to go forward. But the universe always provides and I know that what will happen, will be what must happen. Just got to always keep my eyes on the goal - two years of travelling in Africa.

I have spoken to people, a person, re: travelling, and he suggests working on a serious proposal for the aims of my story gatherering. And Riaan Manser (the dude who cycled around Africa on his bicycle, taking him 2 years) told me, yes I contacted him, he told me, via his PA, that if I decide to do this, to travel around Africa, then I really really really really have to decide: what am I willing to give/give up for this? He told me you have to give it your all, you can't do it half-heartedly. But he says it can be done. You just have to DO it. My new role-model for travelling Africa. Read his book, Around Africa on my Bicycle - it's a bit of a blow-by-blow account of his travels, not fantastically well crafted prose, and quite a guy's guy (it's a 'boys' book, there is no other way to descibe it). But an informative read none-the-less.

SO I am still going to do it. I will, I will, I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment